OUTREACH IN FOCUS
An educational institution is established within the bounds of three major pillars: instruction, research, and community extension. While its primary function focuses on the provision of formal education, it is also expected to serve the community where it is a part of.
There are impoverished communities where people live in deprivation. Hard as they labor and toil to change their lot, these people need to be assisted to function as productive, useful and participative members of their families and communities thus contributing to nation building.
The Community Outreach Program of Centro Escolar University (CEU) hones the spirit of volunteerism and social responsibility among members of the CEU community empowering them to be part of social change in our nation.
VISION-MISSION OF THE COMMUNITY OUTREACH DEPARTMENT
- A highly organized Community Outreach Department (COD) rendering EFFECTIVE, EFFICIENT and HUMANE SERVICE to CEU schools/colleges and organizations.
- The Community Outreach Department (COD) has been established based on the imperative of the school to actively participate in community education and service.
Considering CEU's important role in people empowerment and social development, COD, imbued with the values of love, care, and concern for people, commits itself to:
- maximize existing manpower and material resources of CEU in order to serve impoverished families, groups and communities;
- develop a more facilitative network of cooperation and coordination between and among schools/colleges and organizations within the university;
- promote the highest level and degree of volunteerism among students, faculty and non-teaching personnel; and
- contribute to the inculcation of values of social responsibility and promotion of a dignified life for all, within and outside the university
COMMUNITY OUTREACH DEPARTMENT
Carlito B. Olaer, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Dr. Maria Cecilia L. Yu
Acting Head, Community Outreach Department
Prof. Gemma Gornez
Prof. Luningning Marcelino
Mr. Rovi C. Obal, RSW
Dr. Margarita E. Grey
COP Adviser, School of AM
Dr. Joan F. Joven
COP Adviser, School of Dentistry
Prof. Virginia Nuguid
COP Adviser, School of ELAMS
Prof. Nenita Lim
COP Adviser, School of Medical Technology
Dr. Irynne Cabanban
COP Adviser, School of Nursing
Prof. Lindsay Alvarez
COP Adviser, School of NHM
Dr. Roji Soriano
COP Adviser, School of Optometry
Prof. Anna Marie Rubenicia
OUTREACH PROGRAM VOLUNTEERS AND THEIR ORGANIZATIONS
COMPASS (Community Outreach Movement Pro-Active Student Service)
The students have organized themselves into a strong organization called COMPASS (Community Outreach Movement Pro-Active Student Service). This university-wide organization was established on June 26, 1998 with the aim of promoting and strengthening student involvement through voluntary participation in the University Community Outreach Program. It also seeks to coordinate with various community outreach organizations of the different schools, GOs and NGOs in pursuit of exchanging experiences, ideas & furtherance of knowledge in terms of community understanding & genuine community involvement.
TEACH (Teachers’ Empowering Approach as Community Helpmates)
Aside from the students, faculty members who render voluntary community involvement have also organized themselves into a group called TEACH (Teachers’ Empowering Approach as Community Helpmates). This organization seeks to promote and strengthen faculty involvement through worthwhile activities that would promote participation in the University's Community Outreach Program. It aims to train faculty leaders who would volunteer to assist in the implementation of the Community Outreach Program.
SUPPORT (Support Personnel Outreach Team)
The Non-Teaching Personnel have also an organization of community volunteers which they called SUPPORT (Support Personnel Outreach Team). Just like COMPASS and TEACH, the purpose of SUPPORT is to encourage the voluntary involvement of non-teaching personnel in community building efforts within and outside the university.
CEU-AFI (Alumni Foundation, Inc.)
Alumni from different schools continuously participate in outreach activities. They are actively involved in supporting the CEU-COP activities.
S.Y. 2021 - Present
The CEU – COP are anchored on the four (4) Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) namely:
- SDG no. 3 – Good Health and Well – being
- SDG no. 4 – Quality Education
- SDG. no. 8 – Descent Work and Livelihood
- SDG. no. 13- Climate Action
A. Health and Nutrition
- School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management online webinar on “Sustansiya sa Ayuda” with C.M. Recto High School, via Zoom and Facebook Live last July 31, 2021
- School of Optometry online ”Optoteleconsultation”, via Google Meet last July – September 2021
- School of Science and Technology Psychology Department Online Webinar on Psychological First-Ai via Google Meet last September 24, 2021
- Guidance and Counselling Department webinar on Mental Health and Wellbeing via Google Meet and Facebook Live last September 29, 2021
- School of Dentistry webinar on Oral Health Care and Launching of Teledentsitry via Google Meet and Facebook Live last September 30, 2021 and October 19, 2021
- Webinar on Lecture and Cooking Demonstration, via Zoom
School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management and School of Pharmacy COMPASS Chapters online webinar on Lecture and Cooking Demonstration with the theme: “Virtual
- Cooking Experience using Culinary and Medicinal Herbs” for CEU Students and Employees via Zoom last October 16 & 23, 2021
- School of Science and Technology Donation and establishing Handwashing Facility to Claro M. Recto High School last September 23 – October 15, 2021
- School of Denstistry Association of Dental Students of the Philippines Teledentistry Program via Google Meet, November 2021 – April 2022
- School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management Training for BHW and BNS in partnership with PIAN (Parola Inter Agency Network) at Bayleaf Hotel, Manila last November 22-23,2021
- School of Nursing Seminar with the theme “Pagtuturong Pangkalusugan na may temang:Alagang kay Ganda ni Nanay” with Claro M. Recto High School last March 9, 2022
- School of Nursing and School of Medical Technology Donation and establishing Handwashing Facility to Claro M. Recto Senior High School last March 2022-Present
- School of Nursing Lending Hospital Bed to CMRHS for their DepEd Safety Seal Visit with C.M. Recto High School last April 2022
- Community Outreach Department, University Wide and School based Organizations Donated Health Supplies for the Implementation of Face-to-Face Classes to Claro M. Recto High School from April – August 2022
- School of Optometry Online Optometric Education with Claro M. Recto High School via Google Meet last August 25, 26, 30 and 31, 2022
B. Education and Values Formation
- School of Science and Technology 3-day ICT training with C.M. Recto High School Faculty via Zoom last April 30, May 7 and May 14, 2021
- School of Accountancy and Management- BS Accountancy Program Online Weminar on Basic Math Operationwith the theme “Pagkukwenta sa Kwarantina” via Google Meet last September 21, 2021
- Centro Escolar University and C.M. Recto High school MOU Signing via Zoom last September 24, 2021
- Community Outreach Department/ Section (Manila*Makati*Malolos) COP-Concert: Handog-Pasasalamat, via Facebook live through COP-Concert Private Group last October 9, 2021
- TEACH AND SUPPORT Webinar via Zoom, last March 5, 2022
- Teachers’ Empowering Approach as Community Helpmates (TEACH) Coffee and Tea Making Activity with C.M. Recto High School Faculty last August 3, 2022
- CEU – Community Outreach Department donated school supplies to V. Mapa High School last August 22, 2022
- Teachers’ Empowering Approach as Community Helpmates (TEACH) Online Webinar Workshop on Canva with C.M. Recto High School Faculty last August 30, 2022
C. Livelihood and Entrepreneurship
- School of Science and Technology-Computer Education Department Canva Workshop: Enhance your Business through Design Skill Workshop with Claro M. Recto High School Beneficiaries” via Google Meet last February 3, 2022
- School of Accountancy and Management Online Webinar with the theme "Livelihood Program for YoungTrepeneurs: Costing and Pricing” via Google Meet, last April 30, 2022
D. Environmental Care and Protection
- School of Science and Technology – Biology Program webinar on Environmental Stewardship, via Zoom and Facebook Live last October 15, 2021
School of Pharmacy Ocular visiation on the enhancement of herbal garden with Claro M. Recto High School last March 4, 2022
- Wellness Profile of the Older Adults in Barangay 836 Pandacan, Manila May 2018 Basis for Implementation of Nursing Clinics, School of Nursing: Mr. Sonny Pura and Dr. Irynne D. Cabanban, May 2018
- Centro Escolar University, School of Optometry Community Outreach Program: Response to WHO Universal Eye Health 2014-2019, School of Optometry: Maria Cecilia A. Lintag-Yu, OD, MSO, FAOC, 2014-2019
- Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment and Control of Hypertension and Medication Adherence Among Elderly in Barangay 836, Pandacan, Manila, Philippines, Graduate School, School of Pharmacy, and Community Outreach Department, 2018: R. Arellano, JP. Ramos, M. Delacruz, R. Lequin , CA. Gregorio and MD. Dean.
- Impact Assessment of Community Outreach Activities on Core Values and Graduate Attributes among School of Science and Technology Volunteers, School of Science and Technology: Adrian M. Segovia, Dorothea dela Cruz, Zenaida DR Los Baños, Jennifer L. Santos , 2014-2018
- Factors Related to the Nutritional Status of 8-71 Months Old Children in Barangay 836, Pandacan, Manila, School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management: Castro, M Cudilla, TB Jugo, JA, Obial, P., Pascual, C Sarmiento, J Uy,RG , Fronda, JK, 2017
- Saklolo and Saklola:Understanding the Level of Agonies of the Elderly as Basis for a Proposed Intervention Activities, TEACH: Gemma Rosemarie Gornez, Sonia Pilao, Angelina Villanueva, Jean Marie Villanueva, Agnes Santos, 2018
- Greening Project: The Social Responsibility of the Students of Centro Escolar University, Makati, TEACH and SUPPORT: Sonia Pilao, Gemma Rosemarie Gornez, Jean Marie Villanueva, and Denise Javal and Marienelle Dimaano, 2020
- Health Coaching and Education of CWH’s: Partnership in Transforming Health Care Delivery System, Cresencia M. Santos D.N.S., Gerald T. Evangelista M.A.N., and Luningning O. Marcelino M.A.N, 2015-2016