Today, as one of the leading educational institutions in the country, Centro Escolar University, upholds academic excellence by continually upgrading its curricula and facilities and maintaining a highly professional and dynamic teaching force and university staff.
For more than a century, Centro Escolar University has helped students realize their dreams of success and prominence in their chosen careers. Its campuses in Manila, Malolos, Makati, and Cebu not only provide a stimulating atmosphere for learning, but nurture ambition and motivation as well. Most of CEU degree programs are accredited Levels II, III, and IV, by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) as certified by the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP). These accreditations attest to the excellence of the University’s programs - high standard of instruction, effective community extension programs, a robust research tradition, strong staff development program favorable performance of graduates in licensure exams, productive partnerships with other schools and agencies, and a sustained quality assurance system.
In all CEU campuses, facilities are constantly upgraded with the latest in learning equipment and technology making the University a constant partner of PRC in the practical component of licensure examinations in Dentistry and Optometry. The Manila campus boasts of state-of-the-art computer technology facilities in its 7-storey Information Science Center, and a sports center with a gymnasium and swimming pool. The Malolos campus has a gymnasium and a mini-hotel while the Makati campus is operating the latest facilities in Gil Puyat and Legazpi Village. To fully support research activities, the University has modernized its library services and upgraded them with electronic-based research tools and new information resource acquisitions.
CEU was founded on June 3, 1907 as the “Centro Escolar de Señoritas” by two visionaries, Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna, who were inspired by the patriotic movement to nationalize schools. They were cognizant of a need for a center of learning for Filipino women focused on teaching ideal womanhood, intelligent citizenry and democratic leadership that would instill in them the tenets of science and virtue. Kindergarten, elementary, general secondary, music and home arts courses were the first programs of instruction included in the curriculum.
The school was granted university status by the Philippine government in 1932 with Doña Librada as President. When she died in November 1934, her co-founder, Doña Carmen de Luna was elected as President by the Board of Directors.
CEU has steadily grown as an institution under the leadership of noted educators who have contributed much to the development of their respective professions. Following the leadership of the two founders, the succeeding presidents were:
Dr. Pilar Hidalgo-Lim, an educator and civic leader;
Dr. Dionisio C. Tiongco, a renowned scholar and educator;
Dr. Lourdes T. Echauz, a distinguished philanthropist and educator; and
Dr. Rosita L. Navarro, a recognized educator and an advocate of the balance between globalization and Filipinization.
The current President, Dr. Ma. Cristina D. Padolina, was a former Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Chancellor of the University of the Philippines Open University.
With four campuses and over 50 academic programs, CEU has gone far beyond its founders’ vision, laying claim to the distinction as the only higher education institution to have the following array of institutional awards for quality