Today, as one of the leading educational institutions in the country, Centro Escolar University, upholds academic excellence by continually upgrading its curricula and facilities and maintaining a highly professional and dynamic teaching force and university staff.
For more than a century, Centro Escolar University has helped students realize their dreams of success and prominence in their chosen careers. Its campuses in Manila, Malolos and Makati not only provide a stimulating atmosphere for learning, but nurture ambition and motivation as well. Most of CEU's degree programs are accredited Levels II, III, and IV by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) as certified by the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP). These accreditations attest to the excellence of the University’s programs - high standard of instruction, effective community extension programs, a robust research tradition, strong staff development program, favorable performance of graduates in licensure exams, productive partnerships with other schools and agencies, and a sustained quality assurance system.
In all CEU campuses, facilities are constantly upgraded with the latest in learning equipment and technology making the University a constant partner of PRC in the practical component of licensure examinations in Dentistry and Optometry. The Manila campus boasts of state-of-the-art computer technology facilities in its 7-storey Information Science Center, and a sports center with a gymnasium and swimming pool. The Malolos campus has a gymnasium and a mini-hotel while the Makati campus is operating the latest facilities in Gil Puyat and Legazpi Village. To fully support research activities, the University has modernized its library services and upgraded them with electronic-based research tools and new information resource acquisitions.
CEU was founded on June 3, 1907 as the “Centro Escolar de Señoritas” by two visionaries, Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna, who were inspired by the patriotic movement to nationalize schools. They were cognizant of a need for a center of learning for Filipino women focused on teaching ideal womanhood, intelligent citizenry and democratic leadership that would instill in them the tenets of science and virtue. Kindergarten, elementary, general secondary, music and home arts courses were the first programs of instruction included in the curriculum.
The school was granted university status by the Philippine government in 1932 with Doña Librada as President. When she died in November 1934, her co-founder, Doña Carmen de Luna was elected as President by the Board of Directors.
CEU has steadily grown as an institution under the leadership of noted educators who have contributed much to the development of their respective professions. Following the leadership of the two founders, the succeeding presidents were:
Dr. Pilar Hidalgo-Lim, an educator and civic leader;
Dr. Dionisio C. Tiongco, a renowned scholar and educator;
Dr. Lourdes T. Echauz, a distinguished philanthropist and educator; and
Dr. Rosita L. Navarro, a recognized educator and advocate of the balance between globalization and Filipinization.
The current President, Dr. Ma. Cristina D. Padolina, was a former Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Chancellor of the University of the Philippines Open University.
With three campuses and over 50 academic programs, CEU has gone far beyond its founders' vision, laying claim to the distinction as the only higher education institution to have its array of institutional awards for quality.
Ciencia y Virtud
Science and Virtue
CEU is the University of first choice – the leading higher education institution fostering excellence in the advancement of knowledge while engendering personal integrity and social responsibility.
CEU is committed to:
The following core values serve as the guiding principles of the University:
V - aluing others, caring for them, and empowering them
A - ccountability, integrity, and trustworthiness
L - ifelong learning as individuals and as an organization
U - nity, teamwork, and loyalty
E - xcellence in all endeavors
S - ocial responsibility as citizens of the Filipino nation and of the world
Centro Escolar University is committed to provide quality education effectively and efficiently through a continuously improved organizational system consisting of individuals imbued with professionalism and strong sense of caring, service, and cooperation.
1. Practice and promote good stewardship of the environment;
2. Develop, inspire, motivate and nurture qualified and competent human resources;
3. Attain organizational unity and effectiveness;
4. Ensure functional and efficient systems;
5. Disseminate accurate information efficiently to the different functions;
6. Identify and respond to the needs of the University community;
7. Provide adequate resources and facilities; and
8. Improve quality services continuously through a responsive feedback mechanism.
As reviewed and approved by the Management Council during the Management Review and Strategic Planning on April 27 - 29, 2015.
• Learns and works independently as well as collaboratively
• Translates knowledge generated from research and other sources to improve quality of life
• Creates new ideas to better understand society
• Evaluates own thinking, behavior and spirituality for self-growth
Reflective and Creative Thinker
• Thinks critically and creatively
• Solves problems systematically
• Loves and shows artistic sensibility
Caring and Trustworthy
• Values people and acts in unity with others
• Commits to social justice and principles of sustainability and respect for diversity
• Practices good stewardship and accountability
• Manifests social responsibility by helping improve conditions of those who have less in life or circumstance
• Articulates ideas clearly for varied purposes and audiences or diverse culture
• Listens attentively, engages in meaningful exchange and shares knowledge, values, attitudes and intentions
• Utilizes effectively appropriate media and information technologies
Competent and Productive Professional
• Initiates and innovates better ways of doing things
• Promotes quality and productivity
Mahal naming pamantasan
Papuri sa dakilang Centro Escolar
Ika’y dambana ng pag-ibig sa bayan
At agham na sadyang matagumpay
Kapag ang diwa ng ‘yong mga himig
Lumago na sa puso’t dibdib
Sabay-sabay na ipagsisigawan
Mabuhay ka, dakilang Centro Escolar!
Centro Escolar! Centro Escolar!
Himno Del Colegio
Dios te salve colegio querido,
Gloria a ti noble Cento Escolar
Del amor a la patria santuario
De la ciencia triumfante solar.
Mientras puedan el himno sonoro
Del amor a sus almas cantar
Gritaran sus alumnas a coro
Gloria a ti noble Centro Escolar.